Pair of Decorative Lions
A wonderful pair of lions, copied from the original lions carved in 1792 by the Italian artist Antonio Canova (1757-1822) for the monumental tomb of Pope Clement X111 in St Peter's Basilica in Rome. The lions are crouching at the base of the tomb: one vigilant, the other sleeping. Around 1810 they were acquired from the Canova workshop in Rome and formed part of a French private collection. There is a full-scale pair at Chatsworth House.
This smaller scaled-down pair look rather wonderful on the mantelpiece or bookshelf.
(Sold as a pair)
H15x34x12 cm (each lion)